Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ultimate Cakespeare

No, I'm sorry, this does not involve throwing cake far distances at people, animals or inanimate objects.
This is a much more exciting kind of Cakespeare! The kind in the image of William Shakespeare's face!
This past week theatre-lovers and Shakespeare-fanatics alike celebrated the birthday of the prolific and talented Bard.  At the University of Delaware, the group E-52 Student Theatre has a day long celebration of his birth called "24 Hours of Shakespeare", during which Shakespeare's many plays and sonnets are read the entire day!  This year, in honor of this pastime, I made a fairly epic cake.
Now, I am often one to belittle sheet cake as seeming too simple; however, I have rethought my opinion and have decided that sheet cake can be very nearly as complicated as any other decorated cake if you are not just covering it in frosting and tiny icing roses. (Although, I don't actually know how to make icing roses yet, so maybe I shouldn't knock it till I try it...)
For this particular cake, I actually used two different sheet cakes.  One was a Butter Pound Cake.  Seriously, this was delicious.  Buttery and dense and amazing.  I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and I certainly would use it again, but I wouldn't mind seeing if I could tweak it a bit.

Butter Pound Cake
  • 1 cup butter
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream (This is what the recipe called for, but I actually used 1 1/2 cups whipping cream and a 1/2 cup of half & half, this worked just fine and probably reduced the calorie count by about... 12 calories or so)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons lemon extract
The recipe wanted me to make it in a tube pan, but I figured as long as I watched it in the sheet pan, I'd be fine (this was true).  Something that the recipe does not call for, that I did, was the beating of the egg whites.  I have really started making this a habit because I have noticed that the cakes really do seem more fluffy and delicious because of it... or at the very least, the cake batters do (which is really just as important because the people hanging around while you make cake will always be more excited about your finished product if the "taste tests" they get along the way are fantastic).  
I also made a Chocolate Butter Cake.  Despite the word butter in the name, this cake is surprisingly light (or at least it is light for a chocolate cake).  This recipe came from joyofbaking.com a while ago.  I have been using the recipe successfully for quite some time.
Chocolate Butter Cake
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
1 cup boiling water
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
I did this for both sides of the cake until it looked like this:

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog frequently and I just thought I’d say keep up the amazing work! bakeries in montgomery al

    ReplyDelete