Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"I'm such a good baker... the teaching is incidental"

Ok, so blogging apparently isn't my thing.  But this was so exciting that I had to write about it!!

I made fortune cookies!!  Specifically, German Narrative Past themed fortune cookies!  Since I am TA-ing a German class, sometimes I need to think of creative ways for students to interact with the language... so why not in a cookie????

I think it was some weird Facebook quiz or application or something that appeared on my Newsfeed that originally inspired me to make fortune cookies in the first place.  However the inspiration came, it wasn't long before I discovered that making fortune cookies is more complicated than I was expecting and people have VERY different ideas about how to do it.

I need everything to be perfect, right?  So I obviously felt the need to watch every single video about fortune cookies that youtube had.  Well, maybe not every single one, but I at least watched these:

Howcast's How To Make Fortune Cookies
Country Living's How to Make Fortune Cookies
Paula Deen's Homemade Fortune Cookies

and another video in which they made the cookies on the stove instead of in the oven, but I looked through my web browser history and I can't find it....

Then I had to find recipes... since for some reason I didn't want to just follow the recipes provided so conveniently in the videos.  This wasn't really as complicated since I just went to my go-to source: allrecipes.com

I compared these two recipes:
Fortune Cookies So Easy
Fortune Cookies I

From all of this research I created a recipe that looked very much like the Fortune Cookies So Easy recipe and followed the instructions in the Country Living's How to Make Fortune Cookies video.

The recipe I altered a little bit so that it only had 1 tbsp of water and I included about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of allspice.  I'm calling them Pumpkin Spice Fortune Cookies!

I choose to follow the Country Living video instructions because their fortune cookies actually looked like fortune cookies.... not like folded dough... This is what my fortune cookies looked like:

They are pretty awesome!  It is very exciting.


My suggestions:
  1. Actually get some cotton gloves.  These bitches are freakin' hot. 
  2. Include some kind of interesting flavor.  I mean, you are making them yourself, they should be more interesting than fortune cookies that chinese restaurants hand out.
  3. I don't know how important this is yet, but a friend said that her fortunes stuck to the cookies, so I buttered my fortunes.
  4. In this vein, print out your fortunes with a laser printer, the butter didn't smear the lettering!
  5. I think that if you let the cookies cook until there is about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch of golden brown color around the edges, they are about perfect for folding into cookies.  Just be super quick while you are doing it!  They harden so fast!
  6. Make this recipe! It is super fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment